Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Review: Imaginary Girls

Imaginary GirlsImaginary Girls
by Nova Ren Suma
Hardcover, 352 pages
Expected publication: June 14th 2011
by Dutton Juvenile

Book Blurb:
Chloe's older sister, Ruby, is the girl everyone looks to and longs for, who can't be captured or caged. When a night with Ruby's friends goes horribly wrong and Chloe discovers the dead body of her classmate London Hayes left floating in the reservoir, Chloe is sent away from town and away from Ruby.

But Ruby will do anything to get her sister back, and when Chloe returns to town two years later, deadly surprises await. As Chloe flirts with the truth that Ruby has hidden deeply away, the fragile line between life and death is redrawn by the complex bonds of sisterhood.

With palpable drama and delicious craft, Nova Ren Suma bursts onto the YA scene with the story that everyone will be talking about.

My Review:
Imaginary Girls may throw some readers for a loop, but it was something to behold in terms of not only its characters, but of the plot.

Imaginary Girls takes us to the banks of a lake that holds many secrets and broken dreams. The town of Olive lays underneath a hundred feet of water, after bing submerged for a city works project to create a lake and something haunts it's waters.

Not I do have to disclose that even after I read this book, re-read it and looks at other reviews I was still left feeling WTF!?! after reading Imaginary Girls, do not be discouraged from read it yourself.

The characters focus on two sisters, connecting them to the lost city, and a lost girl. The story hints at so much, while at the same time really revealing so little that I felt lost in many places, but totally intrigued and sucked into the story. It was a really interesting read in the fact that the whole time I felt that I was still trying to figure out what was happening to everyone.

A light read this was not, but for crazy times and a mind trip, A+. My poor kids told me I looked strained reading it, but I still will read it again and try and find out what is happening.
It left me wanting more, a novella on the drowned town or more one the sisters, or even the lost boyfriends. Near by towns or something.

Imaginary Girls will through you for a loop and bring you back feeling something.

I have to say I have total CoverLove because that cover totally encapsulates imagery from the book. I was hooked from the release of the cover when I saw it early this year. Fantastic job.


No comments: