Thursday, February 10, 2011

Review: Chime by Franny Billingsley

ChimeChime by Franny Billingsley
Released March 2011
Published by Penguin
368 pgs Hardcover

Chime was an amazing story. There is such rich prose and complex parts to the characters that is was the most amazing independent read that I read this year. I loved the description in this world, because I could really feel it through the characters eyes.
Chime is narrated through the main character Briony. Through her eyes and her inner personal narrative the story develops and the plot thickens as a plague is spread through her town and a witch hunt begins. The opening line in this book is:
"I've confessed everything and I'd like to be hanged.
Now if you please."
Not only is that statement central to Briony, but there is a huge implication for the whole plot in there. I loved the characters (here I am saying it again). The writing is like none other and the feeling that comes upon the reader was a great joy. Once I got in the mood and sat down to read I ate these pages up.
If you are looking for something truly original in concept, in characters, and in writing I encourage you to pick up Chime. It does not leave you disappointed.

One of the opening passages I really like was this one on page 5 of the ARC:
The wind smacked at everything. It smacked the river into froth. It smacked the willow branches into whips. It smacked the villagers into streamers of hair and shawls and shirttails. The wind didn't smack us up, not the Larkin family. We were buttoned and braided and buckled and still.






No comments: