Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Teaser Tuesday: The Shade of the Moon



This Tuesday We Are Teasing:

The Shade of the Moon
The Last Survivors #4
Susan Beth Pfeffer
Releases 8.13.2013
HMH Books
ISBN: 9780547813370

 This series was such a breakout when it pushed into readers. Dystopian was not as readily available as was today so when readers hear of a ravaged world from the moon, we were stoked with the results even as they were as ravaged and filled with choices and consequences as this series brought us.
  There are many ways to suffer through an apocalypse and Pfeffer can keep a reader hanging onto a page scared to turn as their characters are suffering and ravaged by desperation and desolation. The Last Survivors portrays a world on the brink and a society of the fittest and relentless.

Blurb From The Publisher:

It's been more than two years since Jon Evans and his family left Pennsylvania, hoping to find a safe place to live, yet Jon remains haunted by the deaths of those he loved. His prowess on a soccer field has guaranteed him a home in a well-protected enclave. But Jon is painfully aware that a missed goal, a careless word, even falling in love, can put his life and the lives of his mother, his sister Miranda, and her husband, Alex, in jeopardy. Can Jon risk doing what is right in a world gone so terribly wrong?

Teaser:

   "You have family," Mom said. "You have a roof over your head and food to eat and a school where you can get a real education. You have a future. My students don't have any of that. They get just enough food to keep them alive, just enough education so they can be trained for their jobs. It's an outrage. And you say that the only thing you have is soccer. I don't know you anymore, Jon. I don't know who you've become, what the enclave has made you. Matt, Miranda, they haven't lost who they were. If anything, this whole experience has made them stronger."
    Jon listened as Mom took a deep breath,
    "I know I spoiled you," Mom said finally. "You were the baby in the family. And back, back when things got bad, well, I put all my hopes on you. Matt and Miranda let me, but I shouldn't have done it. It gave you a sense of entitlement, and living the way you do has only exacerbated that. So a lot of it is my fault. Not all of it, though. You're old enough, Jon, to see the world as it really is, not the way you want it to be."  -44 ARC


If you are familiar with the series, this was like an epic moment for me, because I totally agree with the mom as far as the series goes. I was stoked to see now, that she was on the same page as me with Jon. So get ready. The future gets dark.

No comments: