Friday, August 3, 2012

Friday Fist Pump: Mail


Friday Fist Pump: Mail

                Today I give a fat fist pump up for the mail, and all the male and female mail carriers out there. The mail is a wonderous feature we have. For as little as whatever the current stamp is today we can mail something across our great country. Just a hundred years ago or so that was all done in small increments by horseback and then rail. Imagine the postmark date on those package puppies, totally not the three or four days of today’s basic mail delivery. In fact you can ship a lot by mail, I just received 26 chickens through the mail, and an ARC way ahead of release date (plus a few bills, those could have been eaten by the horse carrier.)
                Back to mail, these carriers are driving all through the sticks and backwater towns and dark allies to deliver us our mail and packages and I cannot say thank you enough. Some things people send are crazy! Last year someone wrapped a stuff bear in a paper bag and it made it to our house as a kid’s present. But also they have to fend off the stray dog or skid past a deer or get stuck in road construction, but still rain or shine there is the mail. In the snow they are trudging up the mountain and getting me my books, papers, and mail order coffee. Even when I am too chicken to brave the elements, the mail carriers persevere. With no internet it is like a dystopian at my house, or at least the kids figure since our phones don’t even work, and I am really coming to appreciate the mail.
                So mail, I love you. When I am blue there is almost always something in my box good or bad. When the weather is harsh and I don’t want to drive into town I can order online and you bring me those books I wanted in just days. So here is a pump to you. 


No comments: