Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Excuse Me Whilst I Grab My Soapbox: Michelle Hodkin's


I should be writing a term paper, but I had to do this...
Please Excuse, no Please hear me whilst I grab my Soapbox.

Michelle Hodkin, you are a genious.
I began reading the Unbecoming of Mara Dyer a few days ago from an ARC and while I had a lot going on in my days, I could not stop sneaking in pages, basically anywhere I could. This ARC traveled with me through thick and thin and I swear I could take on a zombie with its weight, because it is worth more than gold to me right now, it was just THE MOST AWESOME READ THIS SUMMER!
Seriously, for me this book was the twisty turnsiest book that rocked my stripey socks!
From the start I loved this premise of the book: How far are you willing to forget the things you do? Is is unbeknownst to you, was it someone else? are you just a witness to these acts?

Seriously I heart NOAH. Wow this dude, he is my new Book Boyfriend here. You can come and save me anytime Noah, I don't have a window you can climb through, but call me.

When I began reading, now for those not read it yet, remember that first page, I just read. Then I backtracked and began again, in fact this book had a lot of miles in it as I said, wait...
Halfway through it I went, Whoa, then three quarters I went no way, wtf-oh oh I totally did not see than coming= freaking awesome plot turn. Then I was like No F-ing Way-AWESOMESAUCE! To the last page when I went...... NOOOO!!!!! IT IS OVER THAT WAS THE BEST F@#*!N% Book I have read this summer!

Michelle Hodkin, I totally admire you now. At first read I though this was an ordinary book, one that I would think was a great read, I was unprepared to say that this was fantastmic. I was unaware that this book would toss me around and then turn me upside down, get me a little teary and then blow me away.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer is so rich in the storyline of the characters. There is this utterly amazing plot that enthralls the reader and sucks us into this world happening in the book and in the plight of the characters and in what they are trying to understand and overcome.

There is not so many times that I am as blown away by a book as with this one. The cover totally caught me at first and the the subject matter of the book hauled me in.

I loved that this book was not too short, that so much was happening in the book that I did not want to put it down and forget about it. Michelle, this is a masterpiece and since there will me more I totally cannot believe how great the other books are going to be because I hope they are as rich and as long, and as wild and beautiful as this one.
I tip my hat to you and say thank you. I was in need of something spectacular and this book had it in it for me.

The Unbecoming was the most amazing book I have read all summer.



The book opens:
The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

My name is not Mara Dyer, but my lawyer told me I had to choose something. A pseudonym. A nom de plume, for all of us studying for the SATs. I know that having a fake name is strange, but trust me—it’s the most normal thing about my life right now. Even telling you this much probably isn’t smart. But without my big mouth, no one would know that a seventeen-year-old who likes Death Cab for Cutie was responsible for the murders. No one would know that somewhere out there is a B student with a body count. And it’s important that you know, so you’re not next.




1 comment:

Wall-to-wall books said...

Hmmm wow this does sound like a great book! I will have to add it to my wish list! Thanks!