Saturday, April 16, 2011

Review: Enclave

Enclave (Razorland, #1)Enclave by Ann Aguirre
Hardcover, 259 pages
Published April 12th 2011
by Feiwel & Friends

Enclave is an amazing debut release by author Ann Aguirre! Once I opened the first page I was sucked into the underground world of future American, and people it did not look pretty. If sewer life and mystery meat was my future in the dark with emaciated people I might have to succumb to breeding since with no coffee I am basically a walking cranky zombie normally.
Our main character soon earns her name, Deuce, after her blood is splattered on an artifact which happens to be a playing card. She has trained all her youth and becomes a Huntress, a protector, a food provider for her community and earns a battered cubicle for her private space. Soon she is partnered with an outside that turns into a whole new adventure. Deuce's world expands and turn upside down and topside as this amazing story progresses and we begin to see the layers in this future landscape.
People, Enclave was amazing to read. The laundry piled up and there was a day of takeout as I was absorbed into the pages and read on like a maniac. Ann makes these smooth transitions of moments into the book that you just cannot want to put it down. There is enough action and fighting to keep a fast pace, and a smooth layer of developing character relationship to give you the warm fuzzy feeling until the next jolt of action.
I loved the characters and how they related and found out about the world. The world building was awesome. The back story was hinted at enough to make me beg for several more books because the author has something intriguing going on here in this dystopian and I did not have enough.
I cannot wait for the release of Razorland 2!
Thank you Ann for an amazing adventure of future peril. It was a sweet ride and now we need some more ;)

No comments: